Well, it was bound to happen at some point. I got a complete OpenStack environment up and running with all the components I wanted, including Ceph (for live migrations and HA). You might be thinking to yourself I should sound happier, and you are right. The performance for this new system is abysmal, at least as far as Ceph goes. 14MB/s on average, where an instance on the local storage is about 85MB/s. I would expect at least a similar number from Ceph, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. This was the same thing when I did the 3-node setup with PetaSAN last year, the performance from 12x Intel DC SSDs on 10G networking across 3 nodes was like 60-70MB/s, where the raw disks in a RAID10 crested 1GB/s. Not really sure what I am doing wrong here, but it is obviously something. I need to go back to the drawing board I think and re-provision these nodes with just Ubuntu and then install cephadm by itself and see what I can come up with. I think I will be better able to test and tune that way rather than messing around in these individual containers.
In any case, progress is progress!